FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 1, 2018
Howling Bird Press Fiction Contest Opens April 1
Augsburg University’s student publishing house welcomes manuscripts
MINNEAPOLIS, March 1, 2018 — Howling Bird Press, the publishing house of Augsburg University’s Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Writing, seeks submissions for its 2019 National Fiction Book Prize.
“Howling Bird Press is a proud literary publisher in the Twin Cities, a metropolitan area recognized as a center of literature and the arts. Founded in 2014, we are happy to contribute our voice to the national conversation by publishing books of consequence,” said Jim Cihlar, publisher of Howling Bird Press.
Previous Howling Bird Press Prize Winners
- KateLynn Hibbard, Simples, poetry, 2018
- Jean Harper, Still Life with Horses, nonfiction, 2017
- Jacob Appel, The Topless Widow of Herkimer Street, fiction, 2016
- Marci Vogel, At the Border of Wilshire and Nobody, poetry, 2015
The competition is open to all writers in English, whether published or unpublished. The author of the winning manuscript receives a cash award of $1,000 and book publication. Augsburg MFA faculty and students will serve as contest judges.
Jean Harper, 2017 winner of nonfiction prize recently said, “The graduate students at Howling Bird Press were fantastic to work with, as was Jim Cihlar who led the editing process. I think most helpful was the attention to the various story lines that wind through the book; the editing focused on making sure story lines were consistent, coherent, and maintained. It really came down to small tinkerings here and there, which made all the difference.”
- Submission period: April 1 to July 31, 2018
- Online submission, $25 entry fee, https://augsburghowlingbirdpress.submittable.com
- Augsburg University MFA faculty and publishing students serve as judges
- Winner announced in than January 2019
- More submission information: http://www.augsburg.edu/mfa/
Published books from previous winners can be found at Howling Bird Press’s website, http://engage.augsburg.edu/howlingbird/books/.
About Howling Bird Press
Howling Bird Press is a student run publishing house at Augsburg University located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The press launched in 2014, is located at www.augsburg.edu/mfa, is part of the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program. If you need additional information please contact Jim Cihlar, Publisher, at Howling Bird Press at 612-210-2656 or by email at email@example.com.