The greatest snow on Earth?

When I lived in Utah for my graduate studies this was (and still is) the tagline for their tourism campaign.  I was thinking of that yesterday as I took the kids skating in the evening.  Perfect stellar dendrites were falling down from the sky. It certainly did feel like this was the greatest snow on earth.

skating rink in snow
Walking to the skating rink. It felt like we were in a snow globe. Somewhat surprised at how white the photo turned out for how yellow the lighting was.

I don’t want to pick any fights about the “greatest” snow, but some observations.  The temperature in Kuopio seems to be uniformly constant as a rule (rather than an exception).  Having the temperature stay in the mid to upper 20s (Fahrenheit) means that the snow is uniformly fluffy.  The type of snow is so variable for a given snowstorm in Minnesota – mainly temperature dependent (heavy-wet, dry, sleet, etc).  In terms of amounts, we get a little over a lot of days, rather than a lot over few days.  That makes a difference.

Living in an apartment and not having a car also means I do not have to shovel every day and navigate the roads.  That helps.  Although I wonder how much this tractor costs – it can very quickly clear snow.  #goals

huge snow tractor.
This would clear any snow quickly…. Hmmm.