We made it!

We have arrived.  So thankful that everything worked out.  I guess the important news to report is that it was … relatively uneventful.

We had a lot of tailwinds in our favor.  Our mandatory pre-trip COVID tests came back the next day – clearing us for travel.  The traffic level at airports was relatively light, making security lines a breeze.  I know how busy some European airports were, so an hour and a half transfer made me nervous (I had thought we would need to go through passport, pick up luggage, get in inspected, drop it off, etc, etc).  However our luggage was checked all the way through from Minneapolis to Helsinki.

And everyone we have interacted with (the staff at airports, hotel, trains) has been so helpful and gracious as we bumbled our way through because we were exhausted (and maybe a little exhausting).  As an example my son (really bad) had to use the bathroom in line for passports in Helsinki (which to me passport control is an area where you have to stay in line and follow directions).  For him, waiting was not an option, but we did not see one anywhere.  We started to duck the line to ask. The staff was able to direct us to the bathroom (which was in an area that was not in use at the time), and then allowed us to get back in line with my spouse.  Jukka (my host) met us at the hotel today to pick up some of our luggage to make it less cumbersome on the train. These small and large kindnesses has reduced my anxiety that comes in traveling.

Thankfully we did not recreate this scene from Home Alone.

Right now we are on the train to Kuopio.  It is very snowy, but people are moving around enjoying the weather.  The pine trees are wearing a dusting of snow (and in some cases more).  It looks like a wintry postcard.

A very blurry photo from the train.
It is snowy in the city, but people are still getting around. My camera focused on the snow in the window, rather than the cars, but I do like the effect.

So grateful and happy that we are here, and looking forward to the coming week as we get settled!