In Rural Mexico, Trans is Beautiful! – by Julie Norris

During our weeklong visit to Amatlan, we were lucky to have the opportunity to speak with Vica, the first openly trans woman in Amatlan, and her friend Lesley, another trans woman from a nearby town. Vica and Lesley had similar stories — both felt that they did not fit the gender roles they were prescribed as children, but faced criticism and hostility for their gender fluidity. But soon, each became involved in the queer community and found reassurance of their identities as trans women.

Lesley and Vica were both forced to become young heads of household in their families, and over time, this continued support of their communities brought trust and acceptance. “[My mother] accepted me because I always helped her with my brothers and sisters,” said Lesley. “I was both mother and father to them.”

Lesley and Vic our guest speakers

Lesley and Vic

Both women expressed that despite past hostilities, they now felt safer in their respective towns than they might feel in cities, where machismo and transphobia run rampant. “In Amatlan, people know me,” Vica explained.

Despite the difficulties of gaining acceptance in their communities, Lesley and Vica continue to struggle for trans and queer rights. Their work involves fighting for healthcare, visibility, and an end to discrimination. Both hope to be mentors for queer youth in the area. “We’ve opened up the path for others,” said Vica. They participate in marches, put on events, operate community businesses, and Vica was crowned Miss Trans Tepoztlan in the regional competition.

Vic during a Trans parade in Tepoztlán

Vic during a Trans parade in Tepoztlán

Vica and Lesley’s stories radiated with hope and struggle. While they spoke of discrimination, they spoke optimistically of their work and accomplishments. In the US especially, we must always remember that the modern movement for LGBTQ liberation would never be possible without the contributions of trans women of color like Marsha P. Johnson, Sylvia Rivera, and others struggling around the world. As Lesley said,”Our struggle continues, and we aren’t going to stop until people stop discriminating.”

1 thought on “In Rural Mexico, Trans is Beautiful! – by Julie Norris

1. oliviamarcott

We were very fortunate to get the opportunity to talk with Vica and Lesley during our stay in Amatlan. I feel like I learned a lot from these two women and some of my expectations were challenged. I was surprised when they told us that people in the community had come to accept them while people in cities often didn’t. This goes against the stereotype that rural villages are backwards while cities are progressive. It was also interesting when they addressed religion. Both Vica and Lesley are Catholic. They told us that other members of the Catholic church have also been accepting towards them. It is important to keep in mind that Vica and Lesley played a huge part in shaping the way that Amatlan views transgender people. Their work truly has opened a path for others, and they continue to carve that path every day.

Reply