Phillips Scholars Program Application
The Phillips Scholars Program recognizes and rewards private college students who striveto make life better for those with unmet needs. Applicants are challenged to think creatively and become community-service leaders. Students from 16 eligible private colleges and universities are invited to apply by submitting a proposed service project to benefit Minnesota communities. Each campus selects one or two finalists to compete for one of six $16,500 Phillips Scholars awards:
$6,000 Junior-year scholarship;
$6,000 Senior-year scholarship;
$4,000 Summer 2015 stipend;
$ 500 Project Resource Funding.
2013-2015 Phillips Scholars Program Criteria
Students applying should:
Be enrolled at Augsburg College
Be a sophomore in the 2014-2015 academic year
Have an excellent academic record (GPA of 2.75 or higher)
Have demonstrated current financial need (we will verify this with the student financial
Aspire to serve disadvantaged people
Have a history of participating in campus activities
Have an interest in community service and volunteering
Be committed to designing and implementing a Minnesota-focused service project in the
NOT plan to study abroad during their Junior year.
Application Timeline for Augsburg Students
• December 11, 2014 ~ Augsburg Student Preliminary applications are due
• December 12-19 ~ Augsburg Selection committee reviews preliminary applications
and selects one or two finalists
• December 20 – Jan 31 ~ Augsburg finalist/s prepare full application to submit to
MPCF with assistance from Elaine Eschenbacher.
• Friday, January 30, 2015 ~ Full application is due to Elaine Eschenbacher
• Friday, February 6, 2015 ~ applications are due to the MN Private College Fund
• MPCF Selection Committee meets in March, 2015.
The Phillips Scholars Program is administered by the Minnesota Private College Fund in partnership with the financial aid offices of 16 private colleges and universities. The program is funded by The Jay and Rose Phillips Family Foundation of Minnesota.
Based on the preliminary application, one or two Augsburg students will be selected to develop full applications that will be submitted to the Phillips Scholars Program.
1. Description of past service & leadership experience (1-2 pages – standard resume layout is recommended)
Describe your Role/Contribution
2. 2014-2016 Phillips Scholars Program Project Proposal (2-3 pages; 12 point font, double-spaced format recommended)
• The summer project must be completed in the summer between students’ junior and senior years. It should be ambitious enough to involve 8 weeks of full-time service (40 hours/week, 320 hours over the summer). (The Phillips Scholars Program scholarship includes a $4,000 summer stipend to support recipients during their summer projects.)
Your proposal should include discussion of the following:
What unmet need in Minnesota do you plan to address? Why?
How did you identify the need?
What Minnesota communities do you intend to serve?
Which specific organization(s) or people do you plan to work with?
Have you made any preliminary contacts at the organization?
How does your previous participation and leadership in campus activities and community service demonstrate that you are qualified to design and implement your proposed project?
(You will have an opportunity to further articulate or change your project if you are chosen for the scholarship.)
Send applications to:
Elaine Eschenbacher or drop them off in 20 Memorial Hall
2211 Riverside Avenue CB 10
Or by e-mail to email@example.com
Please contact Elaine Eschenbacher with questions about the Phillips Scholars Program.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-330-1492