Is the Internet’s Effect on Society Positive or Negative?
Two winners will be selected!
The internet has shaped modern life in too many ways to count. It places infinite amounts of information at our fingertips — and enables anyone with a computer to broadcast their opinions around the world. It allows each of us to connect with people we’ve never met, both in common interests and in heated online arguments.
There’s no getting around it: the internet affects our social lives both individually and globally. In your opinion, are these effects primarilypositive (leading to an increased cultural awareness and solidarity) or negative (exaggerating tensions between cultures that don’t see eye-to-eye)? Take a position and argue your point. Historical references, current events, anecdotes, and philosophy are all fair game. Be as specific and persuasive as possible. You could win a $1,000 scholarship toward your college expenses.
How to enter
- Respond. Write a 400-600 word essay on how the internet has impacted modern society. Argue whether these effects are primarily positive or negative and explain your reasoning.
- Post. Publish your essay on a blog or other site of your choice.
- Submit. Use the form on this page to submit your information and the URL of your posted response.
A few tips
- Feel free to reference (and cite) external sources. Links to credible sources can strengthen your argument.
- Only submit your own work. Responses that contain plagiarized material won’t be eligible to win.
- Responses that are fewer than 400 words or more than 600 words will not be considered.
- We must receive your submission no later than 5:00pm EST on November 21, 2016. We will not be able to accept late submissions.
Follow this link to submit your work to the scholarship website.