Rain

Once again, I am just stunned at how fast time is going here. We only have two full weeks of class left. It seems like we just started. Even though I am looking forward to seeing friends in Nicaragua and my family, friends, and fiancé when I get home, I am trying to soak in every minute here. Because I know that once I am gone I will miss all the people here.

This week we didn’t get to go to Los Almendros or San Antonio, because they didn’t have school Tuesday for Father’s Day and Friday for some teachers’ workshop. I was really bummed that we didn’t get to go to San Antonio, I was looking forward to it all week. The little kids are just the cutest. Now we switched San Antonio to Thursday, so we won’t miss as many days, because they often don’t have school on Fridays.

Almost all the volunteers are finally here, there’s about ten of us now. I now teach three of my English classes with other volunteers. I definitely like this better, as we can combine our Spanish abilities and also catch each other’s mistakes. Teaching English always makes me realize how nonsensical English is. I’ve never been good at grammar, and attempting to teach English reminds me of this daily. I feel bad when I cannot explain why things are the way they are. Often times in English I don’t think there is even any rules to the madness. I don’t even know if that last sentence is grammatically correct.

Back home where my family lives in southern Minnesota there has been a lot of rain and flooding. Luckily my mom’s basement did not flood again, as she has already had to replace the flooring twice and has not even paid off the second time. But unfortunately the roof of my dad’s house collapsed, due to water damage from years’ of rain and snow and not replacing the shingles. It was hard to hear this news while being out of the country and feeling even more helpless to do anything to help. I do not know what we are going to do.